Tibetan calendar dates
- Primary Affiliation (Workplace)
- Padmakara Translation Group;Tsadra Foundation
- Secondary Affiliation
- Religious Affiliation
- Nyingma; Tibetan Buddhism
• L’Avènement de la Grande Perfection, Nyoshul Khenpo
• Le Précieux trésor comblant les souhaits, Longchen Rabjam
Degree in English, teacher of French, professional translator; completed two three-year retreats at Chanteloube, France, 1980–1985 and 1990–1993; founding member of Padmakara Translation Group. Tsadra Foundation Fellow since 2002.
Declaring himself “methodical and particular” to the point of excess, Christian Bruyat is pleased that working with Tsadra allows him the extra time to try and do accurate translations. Coupled with this drive he has an “uncanny ability” to find translation errors “even when I read the works of others who are much more worthy than me, and are big scholars.” He does not mean to be arrogant or irritating, and attributes his knack to “some kind of karma with Tibetan …” Since at age five he informed his parents that he intended to marry a Japanese lady when he grew up—he married a Chinese woman instead—one might well agree that some sort of past-life Asian connection seems to be at play in Christian’s life. He has had the fortunate destiny to spend five years with Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche in Nepal and Bhutan. Appropriately enough, Dzogchen teachings are Christian’s favorite and most inspiring scriptural material, especially the works of Longchenpa, Patrul Rinpoche, and Mipham Rinpoche.
Previously Published Translations
• Le Chemin de la Grande Perfection, Patrul Rinpoché (and preliminary work on the draft of its English version, The Words of My Perfect Teacher, with Charles Hastings)
Completed Projects as a Tsadra Foundation Fellow
• Mahasiddhas, La vie de 84 sages de l’Inde, Abhayadatta (with Patrick Carré) • Le Précieux Ornement de la libération, Gampopa • Perles d’ambroisie (3 vols.), Kunzang Palden (with Patrick Carré) • Bodhicaryavatara, La Marche vers l’Éveil, Shantideva (with Patrick Carré)
- Wiki Pages
URIs of the form "cBruyat@tsadra.org; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com" are not allowed.